- This event has passed.
December 5, 2020 @ 9:00 am
Listen to the replay – The War on Science, Feeding the Hungry, Dark Sky Project.
Along with all of the local news, our guests on December 5th include:
– Shawn Otto, author, “The War on Science,” talking about the importance of a revival of science under new leadership in Washington;
– Leslie MacKenzie and Mark Kraske, Marine on St. Croix residents, on the community’s Dark Sky Initiative; and
– Tracy Maki, Chief Executive Officer, Valley Outreach, to discuss the demand for food and other services during pandemic times.
LINKS FOR OUR GUESTS –
Shawn Otto, author, The War On Science – Who’s Waging It, Why It Matters, What We Can Do About It
Tracy Maki, Chief Executive Officer, Valley Outreach
Leslie MacKenzie and Mark Kraske, Dark Skies Initiative
For more information, contact Mark at email@example.com
Links to key Dark Sky resources:
- International Dark Sky Association (IDA) has materials, videos, pamphlets, etc. for further learning on above topics. darksky.org
- IDA has a model for city codes. https://www.darksky.org/wp-content/uploads/bsk-pdf-manager/16_MLO_FINAL_JUNE2011.PDF,
- CBS has newly designated Dark Sky areas in U.S. https://www.cbs.com/shows/cbs-sunday-morning/video
- City of Marine website has current city lighting codes at #404.7#1. Dark Sky Project: https://www.marineonstcroix.org/index.asp?SEC=E98B536B-7D20-481C-8412-4B383078887B&DE=53F79A49-E8F5-480A-B378-BFCCC4AB427C
- Dark Sky Lake Superior website has activities and ideas, https://www.starryskiesls.org.
- Dark Sky Sanctuaries in national parks are listed. https://www.npca.org.
- Plants and darkness. https://thepracticalplanter.com/do-plants-need-darkness-to-grow/
Bell Museum – Scroll down to “Statewide Star Party Recap”
City of Marine on St. Croix:
City of Scandia:
New York Times – “Find Your Place in the Vaccine Line”
World Coronavirus Dashboard from Johns Hopkins
Minnesota COVID-19 Dashboard
Washington County COVID-19 Dashboard
Greg Seitz’s new book – RIVER OF REFUGE